Imagine you were meeting a customer or new prospect for the first time and you had the time to carefully plan your sales call. What would be the ideal sequence of communication steps that would benefit the customer and you? We call this sequence the quality-value selling call script, and it has four steps in the diagnosis phase of the meeting and five steps in the prognosis phase of the meeting. The same sequence works extremely well for important meetings that may not involve a sale but may be focused on starting a project, resolving a difficult service problem, or addressing a technical challenge.
Whether a one-on-one sales call or a virtual meeting, it makes sense to plan how you want the meeting to go and what communications skills will be needed to achieve an optimum result. Use the sequence below during your next call or meeting and you’ll help your customer understand how your products and services deliver higher performance, quality, and value.
- Introduction (company name first, benefit, your name)
- Exchange of pleasantries
- Upfront agreement
- Brand promise of value (what customer value your company delivers)
- SPIN probes (situation, problem, implication, need/payoff)
- Product or service simple story that makes four points
1. How is it the same? – a positive association the customer understands
2. How is it different? – a positive difference that is unique to your offering
3. What is the unique benefit? – save or make money, reduce risk, etc.
4. Why are your claims are true?
- Answer questions
- Trial close: What do you think? What is your opinion?
- Handle objections
- Presumptive close: Let’s get started!
Old-style transactional selling is very different than this sequence because it starts with the seller TELLING the customer what’s important. It’s more effective to ASK questions first to uncover needs and then offer a solution.
For some prospects it is more effective to reverse the meeting topics by politely challenging the buyer with a provocative solution and then probing to discover how well it meets their needs.
Contact us to learn how we can help you gain profitable share through customized training programs, videos, and playbooks.
Arm your teams with a QSales Playbook
Sales, service, and technical support teams all benefit from receiving a customized QSales Quality-Value Selling Playbook. Every playbook we deliver includes value selling, pricing, and negotiating skills customer-facing teams can use to gain profitable share. Unlike generic sales training material, QSales playbooks demonstrate how to communicate the benefits of your company’s products and services.
Contact us to receive a sample playbook chapter.
Watch our brief videos that provide a snapshot of the skills we help customer-facing teams master through classroom and online training and playbooks.